Through his operas, his symphonies, his compositions for his own ensemble, and his wide-ranging collaborations with artists ranging from Twyla Tharp to Allen Ginsberg, Woody Allen to David Bowie, Philip Glass has had an extraordinary and unprecedented impact upon the musical and intellectual life of his times. The operas - ''Einstein on the Beach,'' ''Satyagraha,'' and ''Akhnaten,'' among many others - play throughout the world's leading houses, and rarely to an empty seat. Glass has written music for experimental theater and for Academy Award-winning motion pictures. Glass is the first composer to win a wide, multi-generational audience in the opera house, the concert hall, the dance world, in film and in popular music - simultaneously. Much of his early work was based on the extended reiteration of brief, elegant melodic fragments that wove in and out of an aural tapestry. Or, to put it another way, it immersed a listener in a sort of sonic weather that twists, turns, surrounds, develops.
In the past 25 years, Glass has composed more than twenty-five operas, large and small; twelve symphonies; three piano concertos and concertos for violin, piano, timpani, and saxophone quartet and orchestra; soundtracks to films ranging from new scores for the stylized classics of Jean Cocteau to Errol Morris's documentary about former defense secretary Robert McNamara; string quartets; a growing body of work for solo piano and organ.
Available on vinyl for the first time as a limited and numbered edition of 1,500 copies. The package includes an 8-page booklet and info on the Philip Glass series on Music On Vinyl, coming in 2020 / 2021.
* 180 gram audiophile vinyl
* Deluxe Lift-off Box Set with blue foil embossing
* Includes 4 printed innersleeves, an 8-page booklet + glossy picture
* Includes booklet with info on the Philip Glass series on Music On Vinyl, coming in 2020 / 2021
* The best / most memorable selections from Naqoyqatsi, Einstein On The Beach, Satyagraha, Akhnaten, In the Upper Room, Songs from Liquid Days, The Photographer, Glassworks, Itaipu and more
* Collaborations with Suzanne Vega, Linda Ronstadt, the Kronos Quartet and Yo-Yo Ma
* Available on vinyl for the first time
* Limited edition 1,500 individually numbered copies
1. Lightning (Songs from Liquid Days) 2. Facades (Glassworks) 3. A Gentleman's Honor (The Photographer) 4. Primacy of Number (Naqoyqatsi)
1. Metamorphosis IV (Liquid Days, Part II) 2. Open The Kingdom (Liquid Days, Part II) 3. Dance II (In The Upper Room) 4. Dance VIII (In The Upper Room)
1. Glasspiece #1 (Rubric From Glassworks) 2. Changing Opinion (Songs From Liquid Days) 3. Opening (Glassworks)
1. Floe (Glassworks) 2. Funeral Of Amenhotep III (Akhnaten) 3. Point Blank (Naqoyqatsi)
1. Wichita Vortex Sutra 2. Forgetting (Songs From Liquid Days) 3. Dance Ix (In The Upper Room)
1. The Dam (Itaipú) 2. Definition (Naqoyqatsi) 3. Protest (Satyagraha) 4. Evening Song (Satyagraha)
1. Hymn To The Sun (Akhnaten) 2. Trial - Prison (Einstein On The Beach) 3. Akhnaten And Nefertiti (Akhnaten) 4. Kuru Field Of Justice (Satyagraha) 5. Knee Play 1 (Einstein On The Beach)
1. Tolstoy Farm (Satyagraha) 2. Window Of Appearances (Akhnaten) 3. Bed (Einstein On The Beach) 4. Epilogue (Akhnaten) 5. Knee Play 5 (Einstein On The Beach)