Rachmaninov: Symphonic Dances Bowen: Theme Artist: Joseph Moog
1. Symphonic Dances, Op. 45: I. Non Allegro
2. Symphonic Dances, Op. 45: II. Andante con moto (Tempo di valse)
3. Symphonic Dances, Op. 45: III. Lento assai - Allegro vivace
4. Theme and Variations for 2 Pianos, Op. 129
5. 2 Pieces for 2 Pianos, Op. 58: I. Russian Round Dance - A Tale. Allegro vivace
6. 2 Pieces for 2 Pianos, Op. 58: II. Knight Errant. Andante - Allegro risoluto
Three pianist-composers from the first half of the last century form the program for Joseph Moog's new album. For this recording he is partnered by pianist Kai Adomeit in three works for two pianos - Rachmaninov's late Symphonic Dances from 1940, York Bowen's Theme & Variations from 1951, and Rachmaninov's friend and compatriot Medtner's Two Pieces. York Bowen had many Rachmaninov works in his extensive concert repertoire, and he became known without much justification as 'The English Rachmaninov'. However strange that may sound, he like the two Russians on this recording represent (with Prokofiev) the last of the great pianist-composers of the 20th century.